VocaBot is a goal-based vocabulary learning app with a minimalistic card-based UI. I led the product development for this project with three other people on the team. Vocabulary learning apps is a crowded category and there are several strong contenders. So what exactly differentiates VocaBot from the rest of the apps?

First, based on our market research through user interviews and analyzing competition, we identified some of the pain points that were still not being met by any of the current solutions. Second, the overall trend was to offer too many customization features and overwhelm the user by giving too much usage statistics, most of which was not even meaningful towards the goal of learning. Based on these findings, our team set out to design the app from ground up thinking and here’s a short video of what we came with and you can also checkout our website here – getvocabot.com

(Disclaimer: This video was shot and edited by me. My product development skills are far better than my direction and editing skills, which in turn are far better than my acting skills.)

The Process (in very brief) 

We first started by testing current solutions on the market. We then conducted 12 in person user interviews and several others over phone. We also sent out an online survey and got detailed feedback from over 70 people. In total, we collected close to 100 direct and indirect interviews before we started brainstorming possible solutions. Once we had our core idea narrowed down, we set out to design wireframes and took those back to our users to get their feedback. After second round of feedback and iteration, we set out to design low-fidelity mocks to get further inputs from our focused group. Finally, we started developing prototype and once again looped in our users to dogfood the application for us.